It’s time for the Easter Walmart DIY Challenge! Now this year they were pretty specific and gave us a couple of crafts from the Kids Crafts website that we could choose from. I decided to do the Mini Wooden Easter Basket. Of course you know me-I can’t just do a craft the way it’s written, I need to do my own unique twist on it!
So I decided to do a much larger wooden glittered Easter Basket to use as a decoration on my mantel!
DIY Glittered Wooden Easter Basket
Jumbo Craft Sticks
All purpose glue
8″ nursery pot
Optional 1st step: Paint your pot using spray paint. I didn’t do this but if i had painted the pot a lighter color I think the gaps would have looked nicer.
1. Glue craft sticks all around your pot. Since your pot is larger at the top than the bottom they will not fit exactly-there will be little gaps. Just try to space them evenly. I found that the sticks really only touched the pot at the very top and the very bottom, so I only applied glue in those spots.
2. Let dry. Seriously-you want these sticks to be glued solid when you start attaching the glitter!
3. Prepare your glitter. I realized right away that I wouldn’t have enough of any one glitter to cover the whole pot. I mixed together the pink, purple, green, yellow and the white and got a predominantly pink glitter. If you were buying a larger jar of a single color you could skip this step–although you may still want to put it in a larger container or a disposable cup to make it easier to apply.4. Prepare your glue. Rather than using full stregnth glue to coat the basket with I thinned it out with some water.
5. Prepare your work surface. You are going to have a lot of glitter everywhere. I used a tray with a raised edge on it to contain the glitter and I lined it with a catalog from the recycle bin to make pouring the glitter back into the container easy. You could also use a large cookie sheet.
6. Apply thinned glue to a section of the basket. Make sure to cover the sticks well.
7. Shake off excess glitter.
10. Attach Fuzzy Sticks. Twist together 2 Fuzzy sticks and wrap around the bottom of the basket, twisting the ends together to secure.. Wrap together 2 more fuzzy sticks and wrap around the top. Cut off any ends. Twist 3 fuzzy sticks together for the handle attach to the inside of the basket using strong tape or glue.
Here are a few more great Easter projects: