Time again for the weekly meal plan!
This week is fairly simple-nothing too out of the ordinary to deal with (thank goodness!)
1. Standard schedule of meetings and after school type activities. Scouts & Pool on Wednesdays, Yankee Bill has a meeting on Tuesday (today), Princess has her dance lesson. The regular stuff.
2. Monday I was in town all day with a meeting and errands. So I needed a simple dinner.
3. Tuesday (tonight) there is an ice cream social and talent show we want to go to. Friday Yankee Bill has an evening event and I have a girls night out scheduled-so it’s just the kiddos that night.
4. Yankee Bill will be gone all day Saturday with our motorcycle group. Unfortunately every single one of my usual babysitters is busy on Saturday, so I guess I don’t get to go with him.
5. I’ve got a lot of really nice lettuce in the fridge since it was on sale this week. I’ve also still got those butternut squash up on top of my kitchen cabinets from last fall (gotta use those up soon!). Last week when I was making the meal plan I forgot that Sunday was Mother’s Day and planned a fairly intensive meal. I ditched that on Sunday and went with very uber simple because I didn’t want to cook. So that nice big trout is still in the freezer.
Taking all that into account here is my game plan:
Monday: Super Size Submarine Salad with Macaroni and Cheese
While I was running errands I found a really nice loaf of “everything” Italian bread at Walmart marked down to $.99–I decided a big sandwich was just the thing for dinner. 3 kinds of lunch meat, cheese, tomato and lettuce made a delicious sandwich. I used the leftover boxed mac ‘n cheese as a side.
Tuesday: Venison Curry over Angel Hair Pasta
I’m way behind on planning tonight’s dinner (it’s almost 4pm as I type this). I’ll make a “This and That” style curry with odds and ends from the fridge, perhaps some canned carrots or beans from last fall etc. I’ll quick defrost some venison from the freezer-I only need to partially defrost it and then if I slice it into thin chunks it should brown up quickly with some onion in my skillet before adding the rest. I’ve got a bit of leftover rice in the fridge and a bunch of leftover angel hair pasta-so we’ll serve it over that.
This is my venison meal for the week.
Wednesday: Homemade Cream of Broccoli Soup, Salad and Bagels
There was a good sale on frozen broccoli, so I picked up several bags. I’ll make a cream of broccoli soup from scratch and serve it with green salad (using that really nice lettuce!) and some of the bagels my neighbor gifted me with.
This is my meatless meal and my soup meal for the week.
Thursday: Grilled Lentil Burgers, Potato Salad and Pickled Beets
I’ve got a few lentil burger recipes to try-I’m looking for that holy grail of a tasty patty that doesn’t fall to pieces on the grill! I’ll serve them on buns and put potato salad and some quick pickled/marinated beets.
This is my bean meal for the week (and another meatless meal).
Friday: Perogies & Salad
The kids love frozen Perogies for dinner when Yankee Bill and I aren’t around. There should be plenty of leftover green salad to put with them.
Since we won’t be home for me to make Pizza on Friday I’ll make my Pizza Hut Crust Clone recipe on Saturday instead!
Sunday: Baked Trout with Wheat/Rice Pilaf, Grilled Leeks and Green Beans
The trout is from the freezer (still). I’ve bought wheat to grind in my new grain mill, so I figure it will be fun to experiment with cooking it as a grain-so I’ll try the pilaf. The Leeks are from the garden and the green beans are canned from last fall.
This is my fish meal for the week.
Are you interested in learning more about menu planning? Check out my post “Why Plan a Weekly Menu” .