So, what’s cookin at the Frugal Upstate house? Well I’m here to tell you!
Of course before I can plan my menu I have to take a look at what I’ve got going on this week.
1. My brother is visiting from out of town.
2. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday we have swimming for the kids starting at 5pm. So I will want dinner ready to go-either so they can eat before it starts, or so that it can go right on the table after they get done. Either way-quick and easy, or maybe even crock pot is the way to go.
3. Hubs has a meeting on Wednesday night-so it’s just the kiddos and I. Great night to make a meal that he isn’t so fond of.
4. I’ve got a bunch of vegetable odds and ends left to get rid of. I’ve also got about a cup and a half of sauerkraut left from the pork chops last week-so I need to figure out some good use for that.
5. My goal, as always, is to include a meatless meal, a venison meal and a fish meal in our menu.
Taking all that into account here is my game plan:
Monday: Tuna Stuffed Shells with Green Salad
Last week I didn’t get around to making this recipe-so it’s on the schedule again for tonight! This is my fish meal for the week.
Tuesday: Black Bean Burgers on Buns with Oven Fries and Carrots
This is a new recipe for me, so we will see how it turns out! I’d love to have a healthy grilling option that fits into my “meatless meal” goal for the family this summer. I’ll make the burgers ahead of time and freeze them so that they stay together better and are ready to grill whenever I am. Don’t worry-if the recipe’s a keeper I’ll share with you all! The oven fries are quick and easy-plus I’ve got a few potatoes that really need to get used up. The carrots are canned from last year’s garden. This is my meatless meal for the week.
Wednesday: Breakfast for Dinner – Waffles and Sausage
Bill really isn’t a breakfast for dinner fan-so we’ll do it with the kiddos and not have to worry about him! I don’t know if I’ll do my regular waffle recipe, or go all out and make the chocolate waffles.
Thursday: Sauerkraut Apple & Sausage Skillet with Green Salad and Rolls.
I not only have the sauerkraut to use up, I’ve got some fairly sad looking apples. Combine those two items with some Kielbasa from the freezer and you’ve got a meal! Not only a meal, but a pretty quick, one pot skillet meal. I’ll round it out with a salad and some rolls (or biscuits~whatever I feel like making).
Friday: Homemade Stromboli
Lately I’ve gotten a bit tired of making pizza-I think I’ll try some Stromboli instead. Again, this can be made ahead and heated up, or even put in the oven on the timer to cook while we are at swimming (Yankee Bill will be home to pull it out of the oven of course.)
Saturday: Leftover Buffet
Saturday will be a busy day-especially if we get a bit of sunshine! So a quick and easy leftover buffet will clean out the fridge AND be stress free.
Sunday: Venison Parmigiana over Pasta with Steamed Vegetables
This Venison Parmigiana is a nice take on a classic. I’ll serve it over some angel hair pasta and put a bag of Italian vegetables on the side. This is my venison meal for the week.
Are you interested in learning more about menu planning? Check out my post “Why Plan a Weekly Menu” .
For more great menu plan ideas, head on over to Menu Plan Monday at the Organizing Junkie.