Want something a bit different for dinner that evokes the flavors of fall? Try this recipe for a delicious and unusual strata that combines apples, onions, sausage & cheese! Pair this entree with a crisp salad or some steamed vegetables for a lovely fall dinner.
- 1/2 lb of Kielbasa
- 2 Granny Smith Apples
- 1 onion
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 C milk
- 2TBS Honey Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Sage
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 Loaf French Bread, cut into cubes
- 1 C Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- Cut sausage into slice. Peel, core & chop apple. Chop onion.
- Sautee onion, apple & sausage in a skillet.
- In a bowl mix eggs, milk, mustard & spices.
- In another bowl mix bread cubes with cooked apples, onions & sausage, and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Spread mixture into an oiled 9X13 pan.
- Pour egg mixture over all. Gently press down on casserole to ensure that all ingredients are wet-then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil & bake at 375 for 20 min.
- Uncover & bake another 20 min. Let set 10 min or so before serving to set up.
- Try different types of sausage, or even ham.
- Granny Smith is not the only apple out there! You can try a variety-even within the strata-although a less watery, slightly tart apple is likely to have better flavor.
- Use any type of bread that has a bit of body to it (regular mass produced white bread will turn to mush)
If you have a frugal recipe you’d like to see featured on Frugal Upstate we’d love to have you submit it!