I just love using my crock pot (also known as a slow cooker) for weekday dinners. There is nothing like being able to put a meal together in the morning and then forget about it till it’s time to eat!
Lasagna is a great meal to make in the crock pot. Traditionally this Italian style dish takes a while to make-there is the boiling of noodles, the pain of putting it together, and then a long bake time. The crock pot not only removes the worry of needing to be home an hour before dinner time to get it in the oven, but you can use dry noodles and completely eliminate a step!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 C Water
- 28oz tomato sauce
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 12 oz ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1/2 C Parmesan cheese
- 12oz lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 16 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook ground meat, onion & garlic in frying pan until meat is browned and onion is translucent
- Add water, sauce, paste, salt & oregano and cook until warmed through.
- In a bowl mix cottage/ricotta cheese, Parmesan and all but 1/4C mozzarella.
- Spoon a layer of sauce onto the bottom of the crockpot.
- Add a double layer of uncooked noodles (broken to fit in)
- Add a layer of cheese mixture.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used up.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4C Mozzarella on top.
- Cook on low 4-5 hrs.
- Use any other combination of meat instead of the ground beef-venison, Italian sausage, ground turkey or pork. You can even use premade frozen meatballs cut in half.
- Use Ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese.
- Use another noodle instead of lasagna noodles.