Eggs are a high quality, inexpensive protein source. I like to incorporate them into my meal plans on a fairly regular basis–but sometimes it is hard to find recipes that aren’t “breakfasty”. This Spinach Egg Strata (for the slow cooker) fits the bill. Although egg-y and cheese-y the bread makes it more reminiscent of a stuffing than an omelet.
Please note–this is one of those “cook 3 hrs” recipes–so it isn’t a toss it in the morning and leave it all day recipe.
- 2TBS Butter
- 1/2 C Chopped Onion
- 2 16oz pkg Frozen Spinach
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 6 Eggs
- 2C Milk
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 6 C torn/cubed Bread
- 1/3 C Parmesan Cheese
- 1 C Cheddar Cheese
- Grease inside of crockpot.
- Sautee chopped onion in butter.
- Add defrosted and well drained spinach and set aside.
- In another bowl beat eggs, then add milk, salt, pepper, Tabasco and Parmesan cheese.
- Place 1/2 of the bread into the slow cooker and press down firmly.
- Layer 1/2 of the spinach over the bread mixture.
- Add the second half of the bread, again pressing down firmly.
- Layer the rest of the spinach on top.
- Pour egg mixture over all, then sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Place the cover on the crockpot and cook on low for 3 hours.