What are the benefits to making your own laundry soap?
1. It’s a great money saver-especially if you compare it to the “allergy free” or “scent free” versions.
2. It’s easy! With 3 ingredients and a food processor you can whip up a batch in just a few minutes.
3. You know exactly what is in it-no extra chemicals to be inhaled, cause allergic reactions or irritations.
4. It’s Green, so your home air quality and your local groundwater will thank you.
5. If you keep the ingredients on hand you won’t ever “run out” of laundry detergent and have to run to the store.
There are a few things to be aware of when using Homemade Laundry Soap:
1. A little goes a long way. Really. You only need about 1-2 TBS a load.
2. It will not foam up like the detergents you are used to. That’s ok-it’s still working.
3. The wash water may look gray. Again-it’s ok. That’s the dirt & ick coming out of your clothes. You just don’t see it with storebought detergent because of the bubbles.
4. Your laundry will not have a scent. This does not mean that it isn’t clean.
5. You may want to occasionally clean out your washing machine with a load of hot water & vinegar to help dissolve any stray soap build up-most brands you buy at the store are detergents, not soaps. . . soaps can leave some residue.
So here you go, the super easy recipe
3 ingredients, a food processor, a few minutes and you've got it!
- 1 Cup Grated Soap
- 1/2 Cup Washing Soda (NOT baking soda)
- 1/2 Cup Borax
- Combine all ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
- For each load of laundry use 1 TBS. If extremely dirty you can add a second TBS.
- You may grate your soap either by hand or in a food processor.
- I like to "chunk" my soap up with a knife before I place it in the food processor.
- Baking soda and washing soda are two different chemical compounds-maker sure yu use washing soda.
- Look for washing soda in the cleaning aisle of your store.
Here are some other times we’ve talked about Homemade Laundry Soap:
Best of “Frugal Laundry Care”.
Reader’s Question: Homemade Laundry Detergent Residue?
Reader’s Question’s: Fading, where to find Washing Soda & more!
Reader’s Question: Cost Effectiveness of Homemade Laundry Detergent Reader’s Question: Dingy Laundry?
Using Homemade Laundry Soap in an HE Washer.
And I even made a video showing you how! Making Laundry Detergent Vlog.