“Mama, can we have a pretzel?”
Occasionally I cave and buy that $3 pretzel, but mostly I promise to make this homemade version that is just as tasty yet much less expensive. Since I let the kids form their own pretzels it is also much more fun. It just tastes better when you’ve made it yourself!
- 1 1/4 C Water
- 3 1/2 C Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg, separated
- 1 TBS Oil
- 1tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 TBS Sugar
- 1/8 tsp White Pepper
- 1 TBS Active Dry Yeast
- 1 TBS Water
- -Place water, flour, salt, egg YOLK, oil, lemon juice, sugar, pepper & yeast into your bread machine.
- -Run on "Dough" cycle.
- -Remove dough when complete and place on floured countertop.
- -Cut dough into 16 equal pieces.
- -Roll each into a rope (approx 14" long)
- -Shape each rope into a pretzel
- -Place on greased cookie sheet about 1" apart.
- -Whisk together egg white & 1TBS water.
- -Brush each pretzel w/egg mixture
- -sprinkle with Salt, Kosher salt, or sesame seeds.
- -Bake at 375 for 15-20 min.
- -Pretzels will be golden brown.
- -Leave off the Salt, after baking brush with butter and sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.
- -Add 1/2 C Parmesan Cheese to dough, after baking brush with butter and sprinkle with more cheese