These “Light and Tasty Cornmeal Biscuits” are a wonderful drop biscuit to pair with a bowl of soup or a salad. They are much lighter than a typical cornbread but have a little more “tooth” than a typical biscuit. I love the fact that they are drop biscuits-which eliminates the entire messy “rolling and cutting” step.
Even if you have folks in your family who are not fond of cornbread I urge you to give these biscuits a try-they are a much more delicate flavor!
- 1 1/2 C Flour
- 1/2 C Cornmeal
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 C Shortening
- 1 C milk
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Cut shortening into the dry ingredients until the mix is crumbly.
- Add milk and mix until evenly moist.
- Drop onto an ungreased cookie sheet in large spoonfuls-about 1/4 cup each.
- Bake at 450 for 15 minutes (until golden brown)
- Use 1/2 C butter instead of shortening.
- Add 1/2 C cheddar cheese.
- Add 1-2 TBS of finely chopped fresh herbs (or 1/2-1 TBS of dried herbs).
- Reduce milk to 2/3 cup and then make rolled biscuits instead of drop biscuits.
If you are looking for a more standard cornbread recipe, be sure to try my Sweet Northern Cornbread. Of course both my Pizza Hut Crust Clone recipe and my Apple Bread both use a bit of cornmeal to give more texture and flavor as well!