Want a delicious way to cook your beans? These Pintos with a kick are it!
Thick and flavorful with just enough heat to keep it interesting. Although Buddy barely touches them (he isn’t fond of beans)Princess, Yankee Bill and I will dive into a pot with gusto. Add some cooked greens and a pan of corn bread and you’ve got a southern feast!
- 6 C Water
- 2 chicken bullion cubes
- approx 1/2 lb left over ham (or a meaty ham bone)
- 2 C pinto beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 TBS Chili powder
- 1 TBS Sugar
- 2 1/2 TBS Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 sm can diced green peppers
- In a large pot combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 4 hours or until tender.
- Combine all ingredients and cook in a crockpot for 6-8 hours.
- Use ham, beef or vegetable bullion instead of chicken.
- Use sausage, bacon or pork instead of the ham-or leave it out all together.
- Subsitute another mild bean such as great northern for the pintos.
- Use Honey instead of Maple Syrup.
- Combine all the sweeteners in any way you like as long as they equal about 3 1/2 tbs
- Like kick? Increase the chili powder, use a real jalenpeno pepper instead of the mild canned, or add a dash of tabasco.
- Increase your veggies by adding a 1/2 C chopped celery, and/or a drained can of stewed/diced tomatoes