This tasty, filling soup is a sure-fire hit on a cold winter day! The fact that’s it’s made in the crockpot is an added bonus-get it going in the morning and have dinner ready and waiting for you when you (and the hungry hordes) get home.
This recipe highlights potato,an inexpensive and filling ingredient, and sausage, which gives you a big punch of flavor.
- 1/2 to 1 LB Sausage (Breakfast, Kielbasa, Polish, Italian-it's all good)
- 4 Medium Potatoes
- 1 Onion
- 2 C Water
- 2 Chicken Bullion Cubes
- 1 Can Evaporated Milk (12 oz)
- 1 C Cheddar Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- -If using bulk sausage brown in a skillet. For links simply cut into slices.
- -Dice onion.
- -Peel and cube potatoes.
- -In crockpot combine sausage, cubed potato, diced onion, water and bullion cubes. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- -About 30 minutes before serving add evaporated milk and cheese, stirring to combine. Recover and let heat through.
- -Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use chicken stock or broth in place of the water and bullion cubes
- Use 1/2 and 1/2 or milk in place of the evaporated milk
- Skip the cheese or add at the table instead of into the main pot
- Add any or all of the following: 1 C corn, 1/2 C sauteed celery, 1/2 C carrots, 1 C (or a couple large handfuls if raw) of spinach, kale, mizuna or any other greens.
- Browning sausage and onion and set aside.
- Dice potatoes and add to water and bullion cubes. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cooking until potatoes are tender-approx 10 minutes.
- Add sausages, onions, evaporated milk and cheese in to potato/broth mixture and heat through.