This lovely egg and spinach pie is reminiscent of Greek Spanakopita–but since it’s just one big pie it’s a bit easier to make.
This was what Princess made for the family the very first time she cooked dinner all by herself! Hey-if an 11 year old can make this, you know you can too.
- 1 Onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2 pkg Frozen Spinach (10 oz ea)
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 2 oz Crumbled Feta
- 2 Eggs
- 1tsp Dill (dried)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 8 sheets frozen Phyllo
- Butter, melted
- -Defrost your phyllo in the fridge for several hours, thaw and drain well spinach, and soften cream cheese on your counter
- -Preheat oven to 375.
- -Chop onion and pepper, mince garlic.
- -In a medium saucepan, sautee onion, pepper & garlic until soft.
- -Remove from heat and add spinach, cream cheese, Feta, dill, salt and pepper.
- -Lightly beat eggs and then add into the now slightly cooled spinach mixture.
- -Open phyllo and cover the stack with a sheet of wax paper and a damp towel while working. (Dry phyllo will crack and fall apart)
- -Cut your stack of 8 sheets into 12 inch squares.
- -Layer 4 of the squares into your pie plate-brushing with melted butter in between each layer. The phyllo will hang over the side of the pie plate.
- -Spread spinach mixture on top of the phyllo.
- -Fold any of the phyllo that is hanging outside the pie plate over the filling-then take the final 4 sheet and set them on top of the pie, brushing again with butter between each layer.
- -Tuck any overhanging phyllo gently down into the sides of the pie.
- -Bake for 35-45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes then cut & serve.
- -Use any other fresh, frozen or canned green for the spinach keeping in mind that 10 oz = 6 cups of fresh leaves, 1 1/4 cups cooked, 2/3 cup cooked & squeezed dry.
- -Substitute Gorgonzola or Cheddar for the Feta cheese (will be a completely different taste).
- -Use a standard pie crust (single or double) instead of phyllo dough.