Fruitcake Slice Cookies are a beautiful addition to your Christmas Cookie platter. Rather than the heavy, dark, spicy flavor one expects from a true fruit cake, these cookies are instead more of a cross between a shortbread and a butter cookie with little jewels of candied fruit embedded throughout.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups candied fruitcake fruit
- 1 tsp almond extract
- In a mixer cream together butter, powdered sugar, almond extract and egg.
- In another bowl mix flour and cream of tartar.
- In the mixer, slowly incorporate flour mixture to creamed butter mixture slowly until dough forms.
- Add in fruitcake fruit.
- Divide mixture in half and roll (in wax paper) into a 2" log.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut logs into 1/2" slices and place on baking sheets. They do not spread, so they can be placed fairly closely.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until light brown.