As far as I’m concerned, you can’t have a turkey without making my Grandma Phyllis’s Italian Sausage Stuffing. Mmm. Actually, if I’ve got the stuffing and some gravy, who needs the turkey?
- 1 to 2 loaves of bread
- 2-4Sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 or 2 onions, diced
- 1 C Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 -1 C Celery
- 1 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 1 C Chicken Broth
- Tear the bread into small chunks. Personally I like to have some texture to my stuffing, so I like them about the size of a penny or so. Place the bread in a large stockpot or mixing bowl.
- Cut your sausage in the middle and squeeze the meat out into a skillet. Brown like ground beef.
- Drain the meat and throw it in the pot on top of the bread.
- Next chop and saute the onion, celery and mushrooms. Again, I like fairly big chunks, but you can dice them fine if you like it that way. If you really want great flavor (and don't care about calories) use the fat from the sausages to saute with. Toss them in with the bread and meat when done.
- Season the bread/sausage/vegetable mixture with poultry seasoning and mix well.
- Add chicken broth and mix again. Place in a greased casserole or 9X13 pan and bake for about 30-45 min at 350.
- The measurements are all approximate-use more or less of each item to your family's taste!