It’s Dr Seuss’s birthday March 2nd, and to celebrate Walmart is again offering special prices on your favorite Dr. Seuss books!
We are fans here at the Frugal Upstate household. Just this last fall both Princess and Buddy were in the school production of “Seussical Jr”–a musical that combined a bunch of Dr Seuss stories together. Princess played “Gertrude”–the bird who hates her one feather tail and goes to the doctor to get pills to make it bigger, but then it’s so big she can’t fly! So then she has to have the tail plucked out. She shouldn’t have tried to change herself just to make others like her more. (That’s a story from Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories). Buddy played one of the Wickersham Brothers, the monkeys who tease Horton for believing there is a world on a speck in Horton Hears a Who.From 2/8-3/14 you can build your family’s library with discount prices on Dr Seuss favorites at Walmart. Beginner books will be reduced from $8.99 to $5, board books will be $3.50 instead of $4.99, and the classic titles that typically retail at $14.95 will be $10! I wish I had that deal when I bought each of the kids the book that “their” story from the play was in at Christmas.
Dr Suess isn’t just for little kids either. Oh the Places You’ll Go is a great (and inexpensive) gift for any graduates you have in your life this year. As a matter of fact, it’s probably worthwhile to pick up a couple of copies “just in case”! This year is actually the 25th anniversary of Oh the Places You’ll Go! Can you believe it? I remember when the book came out (am I aging myself?) To celebrate Random House is launching a special “Kids You’ll Move Mountains” Campaign.
Dr. Seuss Enterprises is conducting a nationwide search for kids ages 5-18 who move mountains for themselves and others by excelling in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math otherwise known as STEAMing ahead. There is even a hashtag: #MovingMountains. Do you have a kid in your life who is moving mountains? Then you’ll probably want to know more:
What is the campaign?
A nationwide search for kids who are “Moving Mountains” by STEAMing ahead in:
• Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, or Mathematics
Who is Eligible:
• Kids ages 5-18
What do Kids Have to Do?
• Submit an essay on “How they Will Move Mountains” in their select area of STEAM
How are Winners Chosen?
• Kids, parents and educators will vote on www.kidsmovingmountains.com via a national social media campaign
• Top 10 of the popular social media vote will then be judged in each discipline
• Judges will vote on the final winners
• Judges include a Dr. Seuss Estate Expert, President of the NEA (a former Science teacher), Goodyear Representative
How Many Winners?
• (1) winner selected from each discipline (total of 5 winners)
What Do They Win?
• (1) Grand prize winner to receive, in addition to a $10,000 Scholarship Grant:
• Ride on Goodyear Blimp
• Trip to Seuss theme park at Universal Studios, Orlando FL (trip for 4, flights provided by JetBlue)
• (4) winners will receive a $5,000 Scholarship Grant
What is the Timing?
• March 2, 2015 (Dr. Seuss’s Birthday!): Announce campaign, with coverage on a Major TV Show, with Cat in the Hat publicity appearance and ride on the Goodyear Blimp
• May 2015 (exact date TBD): Media event to announce winners on major TV show Press event and the winner rides on Blimp (Winner appearances on show TBD)
Disclosure: As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I’ve received product samples and compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.